Username: Password:

Author Topic: SPx or Sogon  (Read 2690 times)

Offline didrik

• View Profile
SPx or Sogon
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:29:06 AM »
Hello!
The silver strands in SPe, SPx and the Sogon,- are they the same? Just more of them the higher level?
If a single run of Sogon is used as biwire per speaker, it would be 96strands devided in 4, that is 24strands per speakerterminal. This can be done as there are 4 conductors inside the Sogon.
If Spx is used, it would have to be 4 conductors/runs per speaker for biwire. That is 27strands per speakerterminal, a little more than the Sogon.
What would be better?

Offline didrik

• View Profile
Re: SPx or Sogon
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »
Strange. Noone i ask have any info to give me. I have asked the factory as well, and i do not get an answer. I see some double up either SPa or SPe. A double SPe will have 30strands of silver, and a single SPx is 27strands. That is about the same amount of silver, but i wonder if it will sound the same.

Offline Amherst

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
There is a one meter pair for sale in our classifieds....

Offline didrik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:41:21 AM »
Hi
Thank you. But do you have any info about my question regarding the strands of silver?

Offline Frihed89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
Same general construction, same materials, just more strands in the Litz.

Offline didrik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 06:34:29 AM »
Thanks. All of the silver cables are litz? Arent they?
If this is right, a double SPe(2x17strand=34) is better than a single SPx(27strand), and a double SPx(2x27=54strands) is better than a single Sogon(50strand).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:15:20 PM by didrik »

Offline Frihed89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
I am wrong, the Sogon has 4 internal conductors (4 sets of litz wires).  The others have less: AN-SPx has two internal conductors, for example.

By the way, the Lexus copper ICs and Speaker cables are among the best buys in the cable market.  The Speaker cables are basically Sogon in copper. 

Offline didrik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 12:14:38 PM »
Yes, the Sogon has 4 conductors of 24 strands each, so a single Sogon can be used a biwire cable. This means it would be 24 strands per speakerpost in biwire configuration.
If Spx is used for biwire, you would need 4 cables, each with 27 strands.

If it is as you say, that the strands are the same, and sounds the same, the more there are of them, the better the sound..

The reason i am debating this, is that it seems to be a better buy to go for the SPx than the Sogon. Reason being that you get more strands, it should sound better, AND is less expencive.

I hope this was more clear.
(my mistake to mix up the Sogon interconnect in this with 50 strands.. of course the Sogon speakerwire has 96, but the original question is the same. By the way, the SPx has only 1 conductor, not 2)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:17:47 PM by didrik »

Offline AN-dreas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
I think it is not that easy - just counting the litz wires- the Sogon has different wire gauges (2 if I'm not mistaken) whilst the SPx has only one gauge.

According to PQ the Sogon has a better dynamic behaviour because of the different wires used.

Just food for thought.

Andreas

Offline didrik

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
Thanks for your input. I have not read PQ's comment, if you know where it is written, i would appreciate a link. Yes, it would be strange if the strands were the same. I assumed something like this, and it is why i think the factory or a hifishop would answer my question, but i have not been answered. Any other question i get answered, but not this one.

Offline AN-dreas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:27 AM »
Sorry, can't find, but what's writen about SOOTTO explains it as well.

"SOOTTO interconnects - With 120 strands of pure silver in each conductor, split between 3 different wire gauges to further enhance signal transfer behaviour, SOOTTO rewrites much of what interconnects are supposed to do, its clarity and dynamic differentiation almost defies what one would have thought possible."

I have one of those; I can tell you it's like a SOGON on stereoides!

Offline FINN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
I terminate all my own Audio Note cables and there are specific differences in all the cables. It is not merely a multiplication factor of the strandings of silver.
SPe -17 strand, SPx -29 strand, SOGON LX-96, 4 internal insulated bundles, 2 of which comprise larger diameter strands of silver. SPe and SPx appear to use the same stranding diameter and 2 of the 4 bundles in the SOGON could also used the same diameter and also there are also differences in the dialectric material between the SP series and the SOGON.
As to the sound differences between the cables, if you have a system and a room that works well then the SOGON AND SOOTTO level of cable harness are capable of revealing what they do so well. I also run a second system based around a Vindicator silver signature and AN-J SPe speakers using SPe and LEXUS-96 and feel no need to upgrade to anything more. I still use SOGON interconnects in that system though.
Hope this helps.
Regards, FINN.

Offline didrik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
Thank you FINN! Most helpful. Mystery solved then..